New York Public Library's
New York Public Library'sPublic Domain ArchiveNot developed or endorsed by NYPL. Part of the World's largest public domain source PICRYL.com.
  • homeHome
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
  • account_boxLogin
View of Niew Amsterdam, 1659 surrounded by pictures of individual buildings, and scenes in Irving's works. Above: Knickerbocker quadrilles. Below: Respectfully dedicated to Washington Irving, Esq. by the publishers

View of Niew Amsterdam, 1659 surrounded by pictures of individual buildings, and scenes in Irving's works. Above: Knickerbocker quadrilles. Below: Respectfully dedicated to Washington Irving, Esq. by the publishers

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall482x640
  • save_altOriginal3840x2883
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x7680x5766
description

Summary

The Collection of American historical prints and early views of American cities in NYPL. The collection includes a gift of the architect and historian Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes (1867-1944), 30 images from the assemblage of New York City views donated to the Library in 1922 by Amos F. Eno (1836-1915) and a few items from the collection of American historical prints accumulated by Dr. Thomas Addis Emmet (1828-1919) and presented to the Library in 1896. Lastly, a few other items not found in these collections also appear, such as an 1814 view of New Archangel, Alaska from the Rare Book Division, and the Hudson River Portfolio of 1820 views, from the Spencer Collection.

In May 1624, the first settlers in New Netherland arrived on Noten Eylandt (Nut or Nutten Island, now Governors Island) aboard the ship New Netherland. Dutch West India Company wanted to protect the entrance to the Hudson River and sponsored 30 families to move from Nut Island to Manhattan Island, where a citadel to contain Fort Amsterdam was being laid out. By the end of 1625, the site had been staked out and by 1628, a small fort was built with walls containing a mixture of clay and sand. The fort also served as the center of trading activity. In the 1630s and 1640s, New Amsterdam had a population of about 270 people. Settlers built mills and in 1642 a stone church was built within the fort. New Amsterdam received municipal rights on February 2, 1653. On August 27, 1664, while England and the Dutch Republic were at peace, four English frigates sailed into New Amsterdam's harbor and demanded New Netherland's surrender. This was swiftly followed by the Second Anglo-Dutch War and in 1665, New Amsterdam was reincorporated under English law as New York City, named after the Duke of York (later King James II). He was the brother of the English King Charles II, who had been granted the lands. In July 1673, during the Third Anglo-Dutch War, the Dutch briefly and quickly occupied New York City and renamed it New Orange. In 1674, the city was relinquished to the English and the name reverted to "New York".

date_range

Date

1843
person

Contributors

Eno, Amos F. (1836-1915), Collector
Irving, Washington (1783-1859), Dedicatee
Endicott's Lithy, Lithographer
Irving, Washington, 1783-1859
place

Location

New York
create

Source

New York Public Library
copyright

Copyright info

Exploreniew

Explore1650 1659

Exploreendicott s lithy lithographer

New York Public Library's

The media on this page is placed in the public domain by New York Public Library, an essential provider of free books, information, ideas, and education for all New Yorkers for more than 100 years. Founded in 1895, NYPL is the nation’s largest public library system, featuring a unique combination of 88 neighborhood branches and four scholarly research centers, bringing together an extraordinary richness of resources and opportunities available to all. Serving more than 17 million patrons a year, and millions more online, the Library holds more than 51 million items, from books, e-books, and DVDs to renowned research collections used by scholars from around the world.

Disclaimer: The media on this page is placed in the public domain by New York Public Library, 445 Fifth Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY. Read more: https://www.nypl.org/research/collections/digital-collections/public-domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive, PICRYL.com, and not developed or endorsed by NYPL, https://www.picryl.com

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020